Some language proposals.

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Wed Feb 25 06:43:04 EST 2004

Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net> writes:

> Jacek Generowicz wrote:
>
> > Could somebody point me to an explanation of why closures are broken
> > in this way in the first place, please ?
>
> a = 5
> def b():
> 	a = 6
> 	def c():
> 		a = 7
> 		print a
> 	print a
> 	c()
>
> print b()()

Methinks you forgot to return something somewhere.

> Python uses a single syntax for declarating a variable and assigning
> to it.

Ah, thank you, _this_ is the salient point ( ... though I'm not sure
what "declarating" means, but I'm pretty sure that Python does not do
it to variables :-).

But what happens in other languages which support closures, but have
no syntactic distinction between binding and re-binding ?

> This causes a problem for Lisp purists but is otherwise helpful.

Lisp causes problems for the simple-minded, but is otherwise helpful.

(Infer as many winks/smileys as you implied in your original.)