Python Productivity Gain?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Feb 17 10:49:40 EST 2004

Harry George wrote in a thought-provoking post:

> Of course, even in the natural history phase pioneers and advance
> scouts are capable of detecting an easier pass through the mountains
> of comlexity.  If 20 people from varied background, each of whom has
> worked in several languages, tell me that Python is a really great
> language, then I'll take that as a significant data point.  Especially
> if they are dumping their previously favorite languages (as varied as
> COBOL, Perl, Java, C++, VB, Modula-3, Lisp, Prolog) to focus on
> Python.

My background is (roughly in order) APL, FORTRAN, BASIC, Assembly, C,
university :-), Pascal, C++, Object Pascal, Java, LabVIEW, and Python
(with a dozen others I forget) and I'm telling you Python is a really
great language.  I've also dumped my previously favourite languages
(to wit, BASIC, C, C++, Delphi, and Java) to focus on Python.

Now all you need are 19 others and we'll have a significant data point.
(Signifying what?  That's what I want to know. ;-)

-Peter