Pure Python HTTPS Server

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Sat Feb 28 03:17:18 EST 2004

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message news:<7x4qtcozv5.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>...
> Trevor Perrin <trevp at trevp.net> writes:
> > Are you and Paul still looking at adding ciphers to stdlib?  That
> > would make me really, really happy :-)....
>
> Do you mean me?

Yes!  Sorry, I was typing quickly.

>  I proposed a standard block cipher API and wrote a
> sample implementation last year,

I like that API.  I wonder if there's any performance issues in
separating the codebook from the mode-of-operation, but I haven't
thought about that much.

> but had to set it aside temporarily
> because of other commitments at the time.  Between then and now I
> heard that the distro maintainers decided they weren't willing to put
> ciphers into the stdlib because they were concerned it would create
> legal obstacles importing Python into certain places.  They didn't
> seem to mind that the existing rotor module already creates those same
> issues, or that just about every web browser these days contains an
> SSL stack, so they only need to be concerned about places where it's
> illegal to use web browsers.

Yeah, I thought things were pretty liberalized these days.  US Export
isn't a problem.  I guess a few countries still have import issues,
but providing a no-crypto distribution that omits a few modules seems
like it would take care of that.

> I haven't pursued the issue since then,
> but I guess I can do some more work on the code now.

I'd be happy to help, or cheerlead, or anything.  Is this something
that belongs on the python-crypto list?

Trevor