A rational proposal

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon Dec 20 18:08:19 EST 2004

com-nospam at ccraig.org (Christopher A. Craig) writes:

> I've been thinking about doing this for a while.  cRat
> (http://sf.net/projects/pythonic) already meets these qualifications
> except that I need to add decimal support to it now that decimals are
> in the language.  I could rewrite the existing code in Python (it's
> currently in C), but there are some very real performance reasons to
> do it in C rather than Python (i.e. I'm manipulating the internals of
> the numerator and denominator by hand for performance in the GCD
> function)

I hadn't considered doing a C implementation until we had experience
with a Python implementation to learn from. But if you've got this and
are willing to release it under a license that allows inclusion in
Python, that would be great. I'm willing to do the work to get
decimals working properly with it.

         <mike