MIDI library recommendations, please?

Andrew Koenig ark at acm.org
Mon Dec 20 14:56:30 EST 2004

Are there widely used and recommended Python libraries that will let me

    1) Interpret and generate MIDI messages easily?

    2) Allow me to select and communicate with MIDI devices attached to my
computer?

I know that (2) is platform-dependent, so if there isn't a multiplatform
version of (2) I would need it for Windows (2000 and XP).

Obviously there are many ways of accomplishing (2).  The easiest is to write
stuff into a file and use a sequencer to play it :-)  Nevertheless, what I"m
ultimately after is programmatic real-time control of several MIDI devices,
and if there are already some giants around on whose shoulders I can
stand...