extending python with a C-written dll

Jean-Baptiste PERIN jb_perin at yahoo.fr
Mon Dec 20 13:28:18 EST 2004

>>extensions need to
>>be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't installed.
>

> How do you expect to be able to write your own extension if you don't have
> the environment to do so in the first place? that error has nothing to do
> with python itself, but with you not having installed the right compiler.
> THe same problem will arise building your own extension.

I know it has nothing to do with python ..
It just makes me sad to see that python cannot get rid of Visual Studoi
to be extended . It's just amazing !!

Python is free
The compiler I use is free
The code I plan to produce will be free

Where can I find a free version of Visual Studio ?

the only thing I use that is not free is the operating system and it's
because I had no choice .. my company decided for it

> Others suggested trying the ctypes binary installer. Do so.

Yes .. that's what I'm going to do .. but I find it frustrating ..