lies about OOP

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Dec 14 20:57:52 EST 2004

beliavsky at aol.com writes:

> If OOP is so beneficial for large projects, why are the Linux kernel,
> the interpreters for Perl and Python, and most compilers I know written
> in C rather than C++?

Because C++ combines the worst features of C and OO programming. It
also makes some defaults go the wrong way, and forces decisions onto
the programmer that are best left up to the compiler, as the
programmer is liable to get them wrong.

C, on the other hand, is a very nice portable assembler language. I've
seen cases where a good optimizing compiler wrote faster code than a
bright human writing assembler (though it was less readable).  C is
enough liek assembler that some HLLs generate C instead of assembler,
thus making them portable. I've seen those generate C code as clean as
a human being might generate, given the write options.

  <mike