Koolaid (was Re: Optional Static Typing)

Fri Dec 24 08:18:39 EST 2004

Tim Churches wrote:
> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
>>I always thought the connotation was more that those who
>>"drank the Kool-Aid" were unthinking drones, following what
>>others told them to do.
> I thought it was an allusion to "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid test" by Tom Wolfe - see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Electric_Kool_Aid_Acid_Test

I am pretty sure that it was a Jonestown reference.  I was living in
Menlo Park, CA around the time of Jonestown, and "drank the Kool-Aid"
came into coin as a (shocking at the time) reference after Jonestown,
and I knew a number of people who hung out at Keysey's place and a
few "on the bus" types -- none of them ever used the "drank the Kool-
Aid" phrase before Jonestown to my knowledge.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org