new comp.lang.python mirror at lampfroums.org--any Linux, Apache, MYSQL, Python Apps?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Dec 8 19:23:19 EST 2004

"astro" <mcgucken at jollyroger.com> wrote in message
news:astro.1gyghq at lampforums.org...

> The top of the page at http://lampforums.org has a few places where LAMP
> is spelled out as Linux, Apache, MYSQL, and PHP/Perl/Python.

Once I understood that that is what you are doing, it became obvious that
that is what you are doing.  LAMPPP, LAM3P, or LAMP3 would be even more
obvious.

> I could make it more clear, I suppose--any suggestions as to how to
> word it would be great!

"Lamp is a shortened acronym for Linux, Apache, MYSQL, and PHP/Perl/Python.
These open-source programs are grouped together because many programmers
use them together (usually selecting just one of the P programs) to drive
web sites."

Am I to presume that open-source alternatives to each of the above are both
excluded and used less often?  Or at least not used much by your target
audience?

> The LAMP acronym has been around for awhile--I think there are even a
> few books with LAMP in the title.

Whereas this is my second or third exposure, with the first that made an
impression coming earlier this year.  A list of those books might help some
people, and would establish that LAMP is an established concept.

The FAQ seems not to exist.

Terry J. Reedy