Python Win32 Silent Install

Matt Gerrans matt.gerrans at hp.com
Wed Dec 1 18:51:48 EST 2004

You guessed correctly.   Python is on HP (and Compaq now) PCs because I put
it there.

And yes, I did get the "I've found Python on my computer, what does it do
and can I remove it" from the support group.   How to answer that?    You
have a computer with Windows Script Host (JScript & VBScript) built in and
you want to remove Python?    I think the best answer is "it does all kinds
of wonderful things!   You can remove it, of course (easy enough, it is in
the "Add / Remove Programs" list, after all), but why don't you learn how to
use it instead?    (I even unhooked the file association to prevent Python
file attachments in emails from giving a black eye to Python, so out of the
box, it was relatively safe).

I've use Python and the Win32 extensions for much of the automation of the
process that pre-installs all the software on the PCs.   Of course, Python
is very versatile and is ideal for the wide range of tasks, large and small
that are involved.    Being that it is both powerful and easy to learn (and
also because of no lack of evangelism (I hate that term, but don't have a
better synonym) on my part), it has been adopted as the main language used
by the whole division for build-automation related tasks.   Before Python, I
wrote the tools in C++ and did scripting with JScript.   I don't think I
have to tell anyone on this list how dramatic an increase in productivity
Python can give over these in many areas (there are a still a few areas
where the C++ tools reign, but Python also works well with those).

I was contacted by Kevin Altis and later Stephan Deibel about doing a Python
success story about this and I was game.    I did start it, but didn't get
it finished in time for the Python Success Story book before OSCON 2004 in
July and have since put it on the back burner.    I need to take a little
vacation from work, so I can finish that.

- Matt