Lambda going out of fashion

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 14:42:55 EST 2004

Alex Martelli wrote:

> I don't know what it IS about lambda that prompts so much dubious to
> absurd use, but that's what I observed.  I don't know if that plays any
> role in Guido's current thinking, though -- I have no idea how much
> "dubious Python" he's had to struggle with.

Just a side comment, unrelated to the lambda issue: it just occurred to me that
it might be very useful to have a collection of 'dubious python' available
somewhere.  Just as it is great for everyone to see good code in action, it is
equally enlightening to see examples of bad practices (preferably with an
explanation of why they are bad and the good alternatives).

I suspect after your CB2 experience, you are in a uniquely well-qualified
position to have such a collection handy.  Whether you feel inclined to spend
the necessary time assembling it for public consumption is a different
story :)  But I think it would be a very valuable resource, and a great way to
point newbies to 'mandatory reading' before they travel down the same blind
alleys for the n-th time.

Cheers, and happy holidays,