lies about OOP

H. S. Lahman h.lahman at verizon.net
Thu Dec 16 11:15:39 EST 2004

Responding to Daniel T....

>>Try and find and experienced OO developer who would advocate that large,
>>complex generalizations are a good practice.  You can write lousy
>>programs in any paradigm.  The likelihood increases when you use the
>>most technically deficient of all the OOPLs.  (If those developers had
>>used Smalltalk, I'll bet their defect rates would have been
>>substantially lower even if they weren't very good OO developers.)
>

> Careful, the paper never claims that C++ produced more defects than C or
> Pascal. It only claims that the defects found in the C++ program were
> more costly to fix. That is a very big difference.

You're right.  That's what I get for responding from memory of my
original reading of the paper.  The mind is the second thing to go.

There is nothing wrong with me that could
not be cured by a capful of Drano.

H. S. Lahman
hsl at pathfindermda.com
Pathfinder Solutions  -- Put MDA to Work
http://www.pathfindermda.com
blog (under constr): http://pathfinderpeople.blogs.com/hslahman
(888)-OOA-PATH