The Industry choice

Walter S. Leipold leipoldw at ace-net.com
Fri Dec 31 10:36:56 EST 2004

Paul Rubin writes:
> I don't know that C# is really that much different from Python.
> I haven't used it but I have the impression that it's sort of similar
> under the skin.

Nope nope nope.  C# is a statically typed, statically compiled (i.e., no
eval(...) or exec(...)), single-inheritance langauge with a
bondage-and-discipline syntax almost identical to Java's.  It compiles to
run on the Common Language Runtime, which is conceptually similar to the
JVM.

Other than some syntactic sugar, C#'s primary difference from the latest
Java (v1.5) is that its standard libraries (the .Net stuff) are much poorer
-- this is particularly noticeable in its Collections API.

-- Walt