Python 2.4 Uninstall Entry in WinXP Registry

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Dec 1 03:58:16 EST 2004

Brad Tilley wrote:
> Python 2.3 placed a registry key under:
>
> 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Python2.3'
[...]
> Python 2.4 does not use this registry entry on the two machines I have
> installed it on... any tips on how to locate this?

It's under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{82D9302E-F209-4805-B548-52087047483A}

which is the product code of Python 2.4. Notice that Python 2.4.1
will use a different product code.

However, if you merely want to avoid that users remove the package,
you can set the ARPNOREMOVE property during installation, e.g.

msiexec /i python24.msi ARPNOREMOVE=1

You might want to set ARPNOMODIFY and ARPNOREPAIR as well.

If you cannot readily pass that property on the command line during
installation, you can use orca.exe (or a python script) to add this
property to the Property table of python24.msi.

If you have W2k or later, you can also set the "NoRemove" registry
value under the key above, to hide the remove feature after
installation.

HTH,
Martin