OmniORB(py) compared to ICE? (was: ANNOUNCE: Ice 2.0 released)

Joshua Adam Ginsberg joshg at brainstorminternet.net
Wed Dec 15 17:05:14 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 22:48 +0100, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
> > "The Internet Communications Engine (Ice) is a modern alternative to
> > object middleware such as CORBA™ or COM/DCOM/COM+. Ice is easy to learn,
> > yet provides a powerful network infrastructure for demanding technical
> > applications. Ice shines where technologies such as SOAP or XML-RPC are
> > too slow, or do not provide sufficient scalability or security.
>
> Did anyone (preferrably someone who's independent from the suppliers - no
> flamewars please) ever compare OmniORB and ICE, especially the Python
> interfaces of both, concerning:
>
> - functionality offered
> - development efficiency
> - performance & ressource requirements
> - stability, implementation quality etc.?
>
> TIA,
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Keller

No flamewar intended, but I've been having a lot of fun with the Python
bindings for DBUS. The documentation needs a little touchup work (read:
the documentation needs to be written), but they've designed a lovely
IPC with differing security scopes for system-wide event notification
and local-user event notification. Even better, it's fd.o approved :

http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/

-jag