lambdas vs functions: a bytecode question

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Dec 17 19:45:29 EST 2004

Fernando Perez wrote:

> Can someone explain to me what the extra two bytecodes at the end of the
> function version (ff) are for?
>
> This is just curiosity, please note that I am NOT making any arguments pro or
> against lambdas, functions or anything else.

It's returning None.  I would guess that it's a safety net to make sure
you don't fall of the end of the function without returning anything;
that is, the code analysis is not in place to see whether it's necessary
to actually include in the bytecodes or not.

   Sentimentality is a superstructure covering brutality.
   -- C.G. Jung