Distutils vs. Extension header files

vincent wehren vincent at visualtrans.de
Thu Dec 9 23:47:30 EST 2004

Mike Meyer wrote:
> I've got a package that includes an extension that has a number of
> header files in the directory with the extension. They are specified
> as "depends = [...]" in the Extension class. However, Distutils
> doesn't seem to do anything with them.
>
> If I do an sdist, the include files aren't added to the tarball.

IIRC you need to add a MANIFEST.IN file to get non-Python files
(including those already referenced in your setup.py) in the mix. You'll
propably need a MANIFEST.IN looking something like the following:

include *.txt
include MANIFEST.in
include setup.py
include setup.cfg

recursive-include src *.c *.h
recursive-include docs *.html *.css *.gif *.jpg *.txt

prune someolddir

HTH,
--

Vincent Wehren