Python mascot proposal

Lenard Lindstrom len-1 at telus.net
Mon Dec 13 14:22:51 EST 2004

Jeremy Jones <zanesdad at bellsouth.net> writes:

> Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
>
> >Hey Dimitri,

[snip]
> >identifying Python.
> >
> I've been googling for this today.  So, what exactly is Guido's
> opinion on snake logos?

This is taken straight from the Python FAQ:

    1.2. Why is it called Python?
    Apart from being a computer scientist, I'm also a fan of "Monty Python's
    Flying Circus" (a BBC comedy series from the seventies, in the
    -- unlikely -- case you didn't know). It occurred to me one day that
    I needed a name that was short, unique, and slightly mysterious. And
    I happened to be reading some scripts from the series at the time...
    So then I decided to call my language Python.

    By now I don't care any more whether you use a Python, some other snake,
    a foot or 16-ton weight, or a wood rat as a logo for Python!

Of course any official logo would likely require a PEP and the BDFL's
endorcement. But before that it might be an idea to see if it becomes
popular as a de facto logo first.

Lenard Lindstrom
<len-l at telus.net>