Recursive list comprehension

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Dec 8 22:25:27 EST 2004

"Steven Bethard" <steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:LoNtd.465310$wV.295778 at attbi_s54...
> What is the getnext protocol?  Is that the same thing that the iter()
> docs call the sequence protocol?

Yes. (I meant to write getitem rather than getnext.)

>  Because this definitely still works with itertools:

Yes, not because itertools are cognizant of sequence objects but because
itertools apply iter() to inputs and because iter() currently accomodates
sequence-protocol objects as well as iterable-protocol objects by wrapping
the former with builtin <iterator> objects.  I expect that may change if
and when the builtin C-coded types are updated to have __init__ methods.
This is a ways off, if ever, but I think the general advice for user code
is to use the newer protocol.  So, for the purpose of writing new code, I
think it justified to forget about or at least ignore the older iteration
protocol.

Terry J. Reedy