Fun with Outlook and MAPI

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun Dec 12 14:54:44 EST 2004

Chris wrote:

>>> Alas, I dont think that there is much you can do to prevent the
>>> confirmation dialogs with Outlook's MAPI dll. MS added them in a
>>> service pack as an anti-virus measure, so no work-around. Not all
>>> clients show these anoying dialogs though. Thunderbird definately
>>> doesn't.
>>
>> There is actually a workaround. You're using Simple MAPI which has a
>> nice easy interface. The confirmation dialogs are only for Simple
>> MAPI. Using Extended MAPI can work around the problem but its a lot
>> more tricky.
>> See the initial discussion here:
>> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/Python-win32/2160646
>>
>> This code has now been included in pywin32 somehow but I can't
>> remember where and its late. Should also be a cookbook entry. Maybe
>> Google can help :-)
>

> Cool.  I'll take a look an' see if I can get it to work.  MAPI has
> turned out to be a major PITA.  Especially when trying to learn it and
> Python at the same time. :)
>
> Chris

There's recently been some discussion of this topic on the python-win32
list, most lately to accommodate moving sent messages to the Sent
folder. I've personally sent several hundred messages using the
techniques outlined there.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-win32/2004-August/002239.html is
a good starting point.

regards