Easy "here documents" ??

Mon Dec 20 14:33:06 EST 2004

[fixing the !#@!$ tab that snuck in there]
>>>        for expr in source[1::2])
>>>            return ''.join(source)
>>
>>And if you prefer not to type so much:
>>
>>def I(*args): return "".join(map(str, args))
>>def F(v, fmt): return ("%" + fmt) % v
>

> Not that I don't appreciate the suggestions from masters of the Python
> universe, but the reason I'm switching to Python from Perl is for the
> readability.  What you fells are suggesting might as well be riddled
> with dollar signs and semicolons...  <emoticon>.
Really what I was trying to showing you was that you could use eval and
do arbitrary expressions using sneaky slicing.

v[1::2] is every odd position, and it can be used for replacement.

v[1::2] = [str(eval(txt)) for txt in v[1::2]]

Is likely what you want; it got ugly when I lifted it into a function.
The cute trick is to use a quote delimiter and observe that the odd
positions are the quoted text.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org