what would you like to see in a 2nd edition Nutshell?

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Wed Dec 29 16:01:39 EST 2004

In article <1gpjz0o.umrpws1pjdekyN%aleaxit at yahoo.com>,
 aleaxit at yahoo.com (Alex Martelli) wrote:

>I'm considering proposing to O'Reilly a 2nd edition of "Python in a
>Nutshell", that I'd write in 2005, essentially to cover Python 2.3 and
>2.4 (the current 1st edition only covers Python up to 2.2).

Since you were kind enough to ask...what I'd really like is a better
better index and better organization, so I can more quickly and easily
locate info on a particular topic.

Nutshell has some wonderful in-depth discussions of certain topics and
I'm glad I own it, but I find it too hard to use for everyday questions
(which was not at all what I expected for a "nutshell" book). I usually
start with the html help (if I know the module I need or have a firm
guess as to which other manual to read) or Python Essential Reference
(other cases), then go to Nutshell if I'm still lost or if I remember it
has a good section on the topic of interest.

-- Russell