BASIC vs Python

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Dec 21 08:24:16 EST 2004

Doug Holton wrote:

> Mike Meyer wrote:
>
>> Logo (my pick) has been called "Lisp without the parenthesis". It has
>> the advantage of using standard algebraic notation for formulas,
>> instead of operator post or pre.
>>
>>         <mike
>

> This is comp.lang.python, not comp.lang.logo.  Please refrain from
> discussing topics not related to CPython.

'Scuse me? This group has a long history of off-topic posting, and
anyway who decided that CPython should be the exclusive focus? Even
on-topic we can talk about Jython and PyPy as well as CPython.

Off-topic we can talk about what we damned well please. Even boo :-) I
detect sour grapes here.

You may be smarting about the way people have responded to your tireless
promotion of boo, but frankly that's different. No matter how many times
you may say that the syntax of boo is "very like Python's" the semantics
make it an entirely different language, entirely deserving of its own
(separate) newsgroup.

Plus, each time you mention it there's this undercurrent of evangelism.
It's sort of like a baptist dropping in at an episcopal church and
complaining that the choirs sing better at the baptist church. Bad form,
old chap.

So please don't let your own upset start you being unpleasant to others.
  There's no point souring your outlook just because the world isn't
beating a path to your door. Maybe it's the mousetrap's fault.

wouldn't-normally-say-python-to-a-goose-ly y'rs  - steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119