Optional Static Typing

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sun Dec 26 23:18:15 EST 2004

Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>
>>Automatic type inferencing is great, but sometimes the inference is
>>"object". Being able to supply more information about types helps
>>Starkiller keep the inferences tight and specific.
>

> Hmm... I'm not an expert in this subject at all, but I think that when
> the  inference is "object", as you said, is because the type couldn't
> be inferred so it defaults to object, which is the more general type of
> all.
> For example, this is what happens in Boo, which is the only language I
> know (a little bit) that uses type inference.

Starkiller, at least, can deal with cases where a variable might be one
of a set of types and generates code for each of this set. Explicit type
declarations can help keep these sets small and reduces the number of
times that Starkiller needs to fall back to PyObject_* calls.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter