Ideas for projects

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Dec 8 22:47:49 EST 2004

Phillip Bowden <pbowden at stx.rr.com> writes:

> I feel that I've learned the language pretty well, but I'm having
> trouble thinking of a medium to large project to start.  What are some
> projects that you have written in the past with Python?

Why start with a medium to large project when you can do something
beneficial to the Python community at large.

The most immediately useful thing to do is to follow the bugs link on
the python home page, and look for bugs in the standard libraries. Add
a test case to that libraries test code (lib/python2.X/test/...) to
test for the bug, then try and fix it. When you've done that, add
patches to the bug report.

That's not only useful, but you spend time working on code that is
pythonic, so you'll learn how the language is used instead of just
what the language is.

     <mike