Lambda going out of fashion

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 05:26:11 EST 2004

Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
> Couldn't agree more. One of the things I find most valuable about Python
> is the ability to use functional style where it's the most appropriate
> tool to solve a problem - WITHOUT being locked into a pure-functional
> purist language where I have to fight the language to get other things
> done.

By the way, if that's very important to you, you might enjoy Mozart
(http://www.mozart-oz.org/) -- I'm looking at it and it does appear to
go even further in this specific regard (rich support for multi -
paradigm programming).  It's also blessed with a great book,
<http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/people/PVR/book.html> -- I've just started
browsing it, but it appears to be worthy of being called "SICP for the
21st century"...!-).  Just like SICP made it worthwhile to learn a
little Scheme even if you'd never use it in production, so does CTMCP
(acronym for this new book by Van Roy and Haridi) work for Oz, it
appears to me.

> def callfunc(function,args):
>     return apply(function,args)
>
> and
>
> def callfunc(function,args):
>     return function(*args)
>
> its just an (IMO trivial) difference in syntax. I'd be interested in
> knowing if there is in fact more to it than this.

No, the semantics are indeed the same.

Alex