Mean, median, and mode

Mon Dec 6 12:53:40 EST 2004

This median expression is incorrect.  median is *not* the midpoint between
max and min values.  It is the middle value when all values are sorted (for
an odd number of values), or the average of the two middle values when all
values are sorted (for an even number of values).

In Python 2.4 (needed to use sorted() built-in), this can be one-lined as:
median = lambda x: ((x % 2) and (sorted(x)[len(x)>>1]) or
(sum(sorted(x)[(len(x)>>1):(len(x)>>1)+1])/2))

(not yet tested, as I've not installed v2.4 yet)
With boolean short-circuiting, this should only sort the list once.

-- Paul

news:e5063e96.0412052335.4dc6045b at posting.google.com...

news:<mailman.7174.1102235108.5135.python-list at python.org>...