Flow based programming & python coding style

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Wed Dec 15 10:16:44 EST 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:30:07 -0200, Carlos Ribeiro <carribeiro at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
> A friend of mine passed me some links about a great concept (not new
> in fact, only new to me):
>
> -- http://www.jpaulmorrison.com/fbp/
> -- http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?FlowBasedProgramming
>
> I found many of the explanations and examples strangely familiar. The
> C2 Wiki contains a good discussion that draws parallels between FBP
> and functional programming, although Paul Morrison is quick to point
> ou the differences. It also strikes me how much of this "paradigm
> shift" can be readily embodied in Python by using generators.

  Continuations provide a better conceptual fit.  Generators
are extremely inconvenient to nest (not to mention the numerous
difficulties with them, such as poor toolchain support).  While
they are certainly handy here and there, their limitations become
apparent in almost any non-trivial application.  Other languages
(and other implementations of Python) go a lot further towards
making "flow based programming" natural.

  Jp