cygwin python.exe symlink breaks when called from .bat file

Daniel Dittmar daniel.dittmar at sap.corp
Thu Dec 16 08:11:21 EST 2004

gry at ll.mit.edu wrote:
> [Windows XP Pro, cygwin python 2.4]
>
> Under cygwin, the python executable is installed as python2.4.exe with
> symbolic link to python.exe.  This is fine as long as one is operating
> only
> withing the cygwin world.  But I execute python from a foo.bat file,
> and
> windows barfs on the symbolic link.  I replaced it with a hard link and
> all

You could rename the symbolic link python.exe to python. Bash finds it
anyway and cmd.exe will it ignore it. Several of the symbolic links are
created without .exe by the installation.

If you really want to use cygwin-Python from cmd.exe, use doskey to
create an alias or create a batch file.

 > is well.  Is there some reason this shouldn't be the standard
 > installation
 > under cygwin?

Hard links are available only with NTFS volumes. (OK, you could create a
hard link with FAT*, but chkdsk will complain.)

Daniel