BASIC vs Python

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Tue Dec 21 22:18:41 EST 2004

Jan Dries
> If you just want to play notes, you could look at MIDI.

I've been thinking about how to answer this and came
to the conclusion I can't.

I was talking about my early experiences in learning
to program as a teenager in the early 1980s.  I had
fun messing around with sound, both to play songs I
had the music for and to make up sounds.

It's hard to compare that to the current era.  Sound
clips are much more common, it's easy to record audio,
keyboards and other specialized devices are cheap, and
there's plenty of mixer and recording software.  Were
I to have started now I would have taken a different
course and perhaps one of these newer things would have
interested me more.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com