Boo who? (was Re: newbie question)

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Mon Dec 20 19:46:59 EST 2004

I think the python community should be prepared to accept an increasing number
of people who just want to get something done with whatever tools they have
available (windows, mac, .net, etc) and with whatever skills they already
have acquired. For example (having been in this situation before) a biologist
may need to write a program to make a calculation on a dataset so that a
paper can be resubmitted with revisions. Maybe this biologist would love to
read all of "The Art of Programming" but doesn't have a lot of time to
determine that static typing is different than dynamic typing (or learn
whatever fancy CS terms get thrown around these days) because a grant is
hanging in the balance. For these people, "looks the same", is basically
"almost identical". Trust me on that one.

The new breed of programmers will grab onto the easiest tools to use (e.g.
shallow learning curve) and use them however they can. They will not study
for 4 years about "compiler design" and "grammers" and other such esoteric
pursuits, because they already studied for biology, or economics, or
sociology, or whatever -ology happened to grab them when they were 20. No,
the new breed will just want a chart that is a little to complicated to
calculate in excel so they can make a figure so they can get out a paper or
make a presentation.

Unfortunately for the language elitists, python happens to be this type of
easy to use tool. In how many other languages is it almost as easy to
calculate the eigenvectors of a matrix as it is to write the "hello world"
program? I haven't found any--and then again, I haven't looked too hard. And
that's the point.

So they (read "we") are coming. Be prepared.

James

--
James Stroud, Ph.D.
611 Charles E. Young Dr. S.