Problem with os.listdir and delay with unreachable network drives on Windows

Read Roberts rroberts at adobe.com
Mon Dec 27 14:07:44 EST 2004

Thank you for your response - this was very helpful.

I find that 'win32net.NetGetUseInfo()' does not
deal with UNC names - it seems to require a drive
specification in the form of  a single letter.
The following sequence worked well for me,
resulting in a much shorter 'hang time' for
unreachable network mapped drives than simply
calling gos.listdir()

# get list of logical drive strginsdrive strings
volumeList = win32api.GetLogicalDriveStrings().split("\000")[:-1]

# some time later...
# vol is an entry in the volumeList.

driveLetter= vol[0]
dirList = []
if win32file.DRIVE_REMOTE = win32file.GetDriveType(driveLetter):
	try:
		driveStatus = win32net.NetUseGetInfo(None, driveLetter, 3)
		if driveStatus['status'] == 0:
			dirList = os.listdir(vol)
		else:
			# tell user the selected drive is not available.
	except pywinypes.error(e)
		# tell user the selected drive is not available
		# happens when drive letter is not one
		# of the current logical drives