Socket being garbage collected too early

Scott Robinson dscottr at bellatlantic.net
Fri Dec 17 19:16:27 EST 2004

On 16 Dec 2004 20:38:29 -0500, David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote:

>Scott Robinson <dscottr at bellatlantic.net> writes:
>
>> I have been having trouble with the garbage collector and sockets.
>
>Are you actually getting errors or is this just theoretical?
>
>> Unfortunately, google keeps telling me that the problem is the garbage
>> collector ignoring dead (closed?) sockets instead of removing live
>> ones.  My problem is
>>

>> 	x.sock=socket.socket(socket.AF_INET,socket.SOCK_STREAM)
>> 	do_stuff(x.sock)
>>

>> def do_stuff(sock):
>> 	sock_list.append(sock)
>>
>> once do_stuff finishes, x.sock disappears, and I can only believe it
>> is being garbage collected.
>
>Can you clarify this?  What do you mean by "x.sock" disappears?  Are
>you getting a NameError later when trying to use "x.sock"?
>
>x.sock is just a name binding, so it is not really involved in garbage
>collection (GC applies to the objects to which names are bound).
>
>In this case, you need to include much more in the way of code (a
>fully running, but smallest possible, snippet of code would be best),
>since the above can be interpreted many ways.  At the least, it's very
>important to include information about the namespace within which
>those two code snippets run if anyone is likely to be able to give you
>a good answer.  Also, being very precise about the error condition you
>are experiencing (including actual error messages, tracebacks, etc...)
>is crucial.
>
>Is 'x' referencing a local or global object, and does that socket code
>occur within a method, a function, or what?  Also, in do_stuff, where
>is sock_list defined?  Is it local, global?
>
>If, as written, sock_list is a local name to do_stuff, then that
>binding is going to disappear when do_stuff completes, thus, the list
>to which it is bound will be destroyed, including all references to
>objects that the list may contain.  So at that point, when you return
>from do_stuff, the only reference to the socket object will be in
>x.sock.  But if 'x' is also local to the function/method where the
>call to do_stuff is, the name binding will be removed when the
>function/method returns, at which point there will be no references to
>the socket object, and yes, it will be destroyed.
>
>But if sock_list is global, and continues to exist when do_stuff
>completes, then the reference it contains to the socket will keep the
>socket object alive even if you remove the x.sock binding.
>
>-- David
(so much for Python being executable psuedocode).

It looks like I was completely wrong.  The problem I ran into was not
checking into baseHTTPserver and looking for self.close_connection=1.

I am pretty sure this happened to me before, and I rewrote the code to
avoid sockets being closed after being referenced to a live object,
but I can't reproduce it.

Anyway, here is my debugged test rig.  It works.  Ignore it.

Scott
[test program follows]
import socket, thread, time

class sock_holder: