inheritance problem with 2 cooperative methods

Dan Perl danperl at rogers.com
Fri Dec 3 07:56:29 EST 2004

This is almost the same code as Greg's with the only difference being that
test for configuration having been done.  But the test is unnecessary.  I
don't see how setConfig could be invoked in the super of the base class (A),
so such a test would be relevant only in subclasses, if they DO invoke
setConfig.  But it's better if they just don't invoke it, which makes for a
much cleaner solution.  Thanks anyway.

BTW, you named the attribute configinitialized in one place and configSet in
the other place.  Which proves that the test is redundant, because it does
work anyway as is.

I had a similar solution, where I was invoking setConfig only if the class
of self is the same as the class where __init__ is defined, something like
this:
class A (object):
    def __init__(self, config):
       self.x = 0
       super(A, self).__init__()
       if A == self.__class__:
         self.setConfig(config)

I didn't like it though because it has to be done like this in every
subclass's __init__.  And it's a problem that I didn't realize at the time
if a subclass just does not need to override __init__ (then the
configuration is just not set).

Dan

news:copb1o$ncv$1 at ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...