Improving Python (was: Lambda going out of fashion)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Dec 25 18:56:32 EST 2004

In article <mailman.8362.1103819622.5135.python-list at python.org>,
Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:

>(I've said it before, and I'll say it again: native unicode and
>generators are the only essential additions I've seen since 1.5.2, with
>properties and sub-classable C types sharing a distant third place.
>the rest of the stuff has had zero impact on my ability to write solid
>code in no time at all, and negative impact on my ability to download
>stuff that others have written and expect it to work in any Python
>version but the latest...)

Hmmm...  I find code much more readable and writable now that apply() is
going away.  And unless you mean "generator" to include iterators in
general, I believe that iterators are another critical addition.

I'm surprised that you don't include garbage collection and augmented
assignment, though.  String methods have been a net gain, I think.

Reviewing the various What's New documents, it appears that we really
have been holding the line since 2.2 on language changes.

"19. A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming,
is not worth knowing."  --Alan Perlis