what would you like to see in a 2nd edition Nutshell?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 29 17:21:40 EST 2004

Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 23:54, Thomas Heller wrote:
>
> > I found the discussion of unicode, in any python book I have, insufficient.
>
> I couldn't agree more. I think explicit treatment of implicit
> conversion, the role of sysdefaultencoding, the u'' constructor and
> unicode() built in, etc would be helpful to many.

Thanks!  BTW, thanks first and foremost to Holger Krekel (who was a very
"activist" tech reviewer and specifically contributed a recipe for this
purpose), there's what I believe is a pretty good treatment of Unicode
in the Cookbook's forthcoming 2nd edition -- still "insufficient" in
some sense, no doubt (it IS just a few pages), but, I believe, pretty
good.  Nevertheless, I'll ensure I focus on this in the 2nd ed Nutshell,
too.

> It wouldn't hurt to point C extension authors at things like the 'es'
> encoded string format for PyArg_ParseTuple to help them make their code
> better behaved with non-ascii text.

Good sub-point, thanks.

Alex