better lambda support in the future?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Dec 18 14:39:54 EST 2004

"Bengt Richter" <bokr at oz.net> wrote in message
news:41c3ea9c.371195651 at news.oz.net...
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 03:05:08 -0500, "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu>
> wrote:
>>To avoid the redundancy of 'a' and '_a', etc, how about (untested):
>>
>>def dispvia(f):
>>  dispatch[f.__name__.split('_')[1]] = f
>>  return f

> That should work. Didn't want to retype ;-) I just wanted to get
> to the experiment following -- did you notice that it takes the
> assignment
> name from each "def dispatch ...", but it is actually re-assigning the
> returned dispatch
> *dict* as the value, not a modified function?

Yes, I noticed that your second version of dispvia, which I snipped,
returned dispatch instead of the nested function named _.   But I did not
quite think thru the import of so doing.

I think one or more of these recipies might at least be worthy of the
cookbook site so they can be easily referenced in response to future
postings.

Terry J. Reedy