Best GUI for small-scale accounting app?

Gabriel Cosentino de Barros aut_gbarros at uolinc.com
Wed Dec 29 12:49:49 EST 2004

From: Paul Rubin [mailto:"http://phr.cx"@NOSPAM.invalid]
> This still seems way too complicated.  Why execute a bunch of separate
> statements when what you're trying to set up is a single structure?

IMHO, i think that the code to create elements is the less important one. I
put myself to learn python toolkits in one day. I picked up gtk, tk and
wxWindow.

I learned how to create the elements in seconds. all have a fairly good
documentation on that. But when it cames down to position stuff... that was
hell.

Or you have a easy way to position things, but are limited for text
direction (important in multi-locale programs), limited in font size
(important for multiple resolutions) and mainly limited in window resizing
(you have to write code for resize). Or you have to add two hundred panes
and invisible elements to have flexibility on the above issues.

What i'm doing now, is to learn very all Tk, and make a xml scheme for UI.

<window>
	<spliter width="100%" direction="vertical" resizable="yes">
		<pane width="60%">
			<button label="this one is on the left" />
		</pane>
		<pane>
			<label text="this pane has a implicit size of 40%"
/>
			<button text="this one is on the right"
click="methodName" />
		</pane>
	</spliter>
</window>

Easy to visualize. I'm just struggling with the best way to deal with
runtime modifications of the GUI... apreciate any comments (this will be up
on sourceforce soon)

Gabriel