PyQT installation

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Thu Dec 30 12:03:49 EST 2004

On Thursday 30 December 2004 4:13 pm, Steve Holden wrote:
> Phil Thompson wrote:
> > On Thursday 30 December 2004 2:34 pm, Nanoscalesoft wrote:
> >>hi phil...
> >>py-->2.4
> >>pyqt-->3.3
> >
> > I assume you mean PyQt-win-nc-msvc-3.13.exe
> >
> >>qt-->2.3.0
> >
> > I assume you mean the non-commercial edition.
> >
> > The binaries are built against Python 2.3.3 - Python 2.4 won't work.
> > Python 2.4 (and later) will never be supported by the non-commercial
> > edition because of the MSVC 6 vs 7 issue.
> >
> > Phil
>
> If that is a real *never* then Qt just fell behind in the "what's the
> best GUI platform" stakes. It'd be a shame to lose PyQT, but if there's
> no way to migrate it forwards it will atrophy and die. Have TrollTech
> said they will never issue MSVC 7 binaries?
>
> Is there no way to use the free Microsoft toolchain to compile, or do
> the language differences just make the whole deal too difficult (or is
> there some other show-stopper that my ignorance prevents me from seeing?).

You've completely misunderstood what I said.

I specifically said the non-commercial edition. This is a binary only version
based on Qt v2.3 and released in March 2001 - the first beta of Qt v4.0 has
just been released. The commercial and GPL versions of Qt is supplied in
source form and supports MSVC 6, 7, Borland, Cygwin and the Intel compiler.
PyQt supports all versions of Python since v1.5.2.

I think Qt is doing very well in the "best GUI platform" stakes if people
still want to use a 4 year old version in preference to up to date versions
of the alternatives.

Phil