AttributeError of a module instance

Paolino paolo_veronelli at yahoo.it
Mon Dec 27 05:59:29 EST 2004

Terry Reedy wrote:

>> I'd like to catch AttributeError on the module level,so that  I can
>> declare default bindings for useds defore definition.How is this  to
>> be done?
>

> 'defore' is obviously 'before', but what is 'useds'?  In and case...

Unresolved bindings,possibly like
 >>> _rdf_type
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
NameError: name '_rdf_type' is not defined

> If you are asking for the module equivalent of __getattr__ class
> methods, there is none.  Modules are namespaces.  They are like dicts
> but minus the dict methods and with .attribute instead of
> ['attribute'] access.  This is possible because all 'keys' are names
> (hence 'namespace').

In the previous example I'd like to see an answer like
'<rdf:type>'

even if I never defined it.Is this not possible?I use __getattr__ in
other situations,and it's very useful for proxying procedures,I was
hoping on a real objectivation of a module.
Why the language should not consider a module as a 'normal' instance
with 'normal' attributes?

Sorry for my language skills.Paolino