Securing a future for anonymous functions in Python

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 30 22:07:51 EST 2004

Carl Banks wrote:
> Nick Coghlan wrote:
> In much the same way that programmers often spend a lot of time
> optimizing parts of their program that will yield very minor dividends,
> while they could have spent that time working on other things that will
> pay off a lot, many of the wannabe language designers here are spending
> a lot of time on aspects of the language for which any improvement
> would only pay small dividends.

Whereas I see it as wannabe language designers only being able to tinker at the
edges of Python, because GvR already got the bulk of the language right.
Anonymous functions are the major core construct that doesn't 'fit right', so a
disproportionate amount of time is spent playing with ideas about them.

Cheers,
Nick.