what would you like to see in a 2nd edition Nutshell?

Dave Reed drlinux at columbus.rr.com
Thu Dec 30 13:19:10 EST 2004

On Wednesday 29 December 2004 18:01, Alex Martelli wrote:
<snip>

> So -- ctypes is definitely getting a _mention_, at least... the issue
> remains of whether we're talking one paragraph, like for all other
> extending-tools that were already thus mentioned in the 1st edition,
or
> a couple of pages (I can't possibly spend 2-3 pages on each of a dozen
> extending tools, much as I'd love to!).
>

> > Perhaps a more resonable sugestion would be a short section on
integration
> > with native systems, e.g. an intro/overview to (non exhaustive
list):

> > psyco
> > scipy.blitz/weave
> > ctypes
> > pyrex

<snip>

> > they all represent intreresting areas.  Perhaps the section could
end with
> > some words on PyPy.
>
> Speaking as somebody who's participated in more than half of the pypy
> sprints and hopes for more, I think pypy needs to be mentioned much
> earlier, together with other "alternate implementations of Python".
>
> I do agree that vast coverage is outside the scope that the Nutshell's
> size lets me aim for.  However, mere mention appears to lead to a
> serious risk of the pointer being entirely missed -- e.g. despite
being
> interested in these issues you appear to be unaware of p. 545 (1st
ed).
> Hmmm -- maybe I need to strike some kind of balance here (so what else
> is new...;-).

<snip>

This discussion is making me think what would be really nice is an
advanced Python book that discusses many of the topics mentioned in
this message and earlier messages in the thread. I'd rather see an
in-depth advanced book than light coverage of the topics added to a
Nutshell book.  I own at least 8 or 9  Python books now and the 3 that
I keep within arms reach of the computer are Nutshell, Cookbook, and
Python Essential Reference.

Dave

Dave