better lambda support in the future?

Jason Zheng jzheng at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Dec 17 16:01:02 EST 2004

Steven Bethard wrote:
> Jason Zheng wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering why python still has limited lambda support. What's
>> stopping the developers of python to support more lisp-like lambda
>> function?
>

> This comes up every few weeks on the list.  If you haven't already,
> check the archives in Google for 'anonymous def' or 'anonymous
> function'.  The usual response to this question is something along the
> lines of "if it's good enough to create a function for, it's good enough
> to name".

The true beauty of lambda function is not the convenience of creating
functions without naming them. Lambda constructs truly enables
higher-order function. For example, I can create a function A that
returns a function B that does something interesting according to the
arguments that I pass to function A.