mx Oddity in FC3/RedHat ES

Eric Azarcon junk at azarcon.com
Mon Dec 20 09:02:04 EST 2004

Hello!

I've installed the mx package from egenix, and I am experiencing pretty
odd behaviour.

If I launch python and run the following commands, I get an error:

>>> import mx
>>> from mx import *
>>> mx.DateTime.today()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'DateTime'

OK, great. However, if I then ask for help on the mx package first, the
above command will work.

>>> help()
help> modules
-- list of modules --
help> mx
-- displays mx info --
help> mx.DateTime
-- displays mx.DateTime info --
help> --quit help here --
>>> mx.DateTime.today()
<DateTime object for '2004-12-20 00:00:00.00' at 984a1b8>

Any ideas what is going on? Is there a path problem that gets resolved
by calling help()?

Note that issuing  help(mx) doesn't work. You have to go into help, do
the modules listing and then ask for mx.

This same behaviour is displayed on my Fedora Core 3 box running
mx-2.0.5-3, and on 2 separate machines running RHEL-ES (most recent
version with updates applied) and egenix-mx-base-2.0.6-py2.2_1.

Any help would be very appreciated!

Thanks,

Eric

p.s. the background is that I need to use mx because the target boxes
only have Python 2.2 on them. Using DateTime from Python 2.3 would be
preferred, but being a newbie, I have no idea how to compile just that
module from source and install it into 2.2. *sigh*