BASIC vs Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 21 18:30:43 EST 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:26:57 GMT, Scott Robinson
<dscottr at bellatlantic.net> wrote:
Speaking of Forth...
> was making the point it would be good for general purpose.  I suspect
> that it would quickly run up against memory limitations and would go
> no faster than the machine driving the memory market (with a possible
> last gasp when Rambus came online).

I dunno. Here in the UK there was a small home computer called (I
think) the Oric(*) which had a membrane keyboard, 4K or RAM and
ran Forth.It had a small cult following before dying out. It
looked a bit like the early Sinclair/Timex ZX81 and I think the
developers came from that stable.

(*)I suspect the name was a dedication to a populat SciFi series
of the time, Blake's 7, which had a computer called Orac...

Alan G.
Author of the Learn to Program website