getopt: Make argument mandatory

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Wed Dec 15 15:34:59 EST 2004

On Wednesday 15 December 2004 20:12, Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch wrote:
> In <mailman.7774.1103118706.5135.python-list at python.org>, Frans Englich
>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > In my use of getopt.getopt, I would like to make a certain parameter
> > mandatory.
>
> Isn't a *mandatory option* a contradiction?  Why don't you turn it into an
> argument?  You already called it argument in the subject of your post.

I probably used an inconsisten wording; option equals argument. My point is to
make an option/parameter/argument/call-it-what-you-like mandatory. When that
particular option/argument then also has a value(instead of a simple toggle),
that means a user specified value must always be specified.

Cheers,

		Frans