Python vs. Perl

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Tue Dec 14 05:30:02 EST 2004

Keith Dart <kdart at kdart.com> wrote:
>  Oh, I forgot to mention that it also has a more user- and
>  programmer-friendly ExitStatus object that processess can return. This
>  is directly testable in Python:
>
>  proc = proctools.spawn("somecommand")
>  exitstatus = proc.wait()
>
>  if exitstatus:
>  	print "good result (errorlevel of zero)"
>  else:
>       print exitstatus # prints message with exit value

This sounds rather like the new subprocess module...

>>> import subprocess
>>> rc = subprocess.call(["ls", "-l"])
total 381896
-rw-r--r--    1 ncw ncw      1542 Oct 12 17:55 1
[snip]
-rw-r--r--    1 ncw ncw       713 Nov 16 08:18 z~
>>> print rc
0

IMHO the new subprocess module is a very well thought out interface...