trouble building python2.4

Matthew Thorley ruach at chpc.utah.edu
Wed Dec 22 12:14:50 EST 2004

Greetings, I just downloaded the python2.4 source from python.org and
built it the usual way, i.e. ./configure && make. What I don't
understand is that the resulting binary, when run, prints this line
Python 2.3.4 (#1, Nov 15 2004, 10:29:48) at the top of its banner.
Further more, the poplib modules complains when I try to call the
poplib.POP3_SSL class, saying that the module has no such class, though
the online docs say it does.

I read the README and I didn't see anything about having to pass options
to configure to get it to build version 2.4. I appears to me that the
tarball I downloaded wasn't really python2.4, even though it was
'official' and named Python-2.4.tgz.

Can anyone please tell me what might of happened, or if they have had a
similar experience?

Thanks
-Matthew