GPL and Python modules.

Scott Robinson dscottr at bellatlantic.net
Thu Dec 16 17:50:02 EST 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:13:46 -0700, Robert Kern <rkern at ucsd.edu>
wrote:

>Tim Churches wrote:

I would be careful in taking legal advise from Richard Stallman.  The
GPL merely states that*:

 	 2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or
	any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program,
	and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the
	terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of
	these conditions:

After that, all notion of "derived work" falls on the appropriate
copyright law of the country in question.  I suspect that following
Stallman's verdicts won't cause you to violate the GPL, but I would
hardly be willing to be certain about going to court over a GPLed
module imported into an unfree python program.

Scott Robinson

* note that I believe that this is fair use.  According to the GPL,
you can only distribute it unmodified.