Tkinter vs wxPython

F. GEIGER f.geiger at vol.at
Tue Dec 28 12:39:57 EST 2004

"Esmail Bonakdarian" <ebonakDUH at hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:10t343vs0jk4f3c at corp.supernews.com...
> Hi
>
> I have found ALL of the posts useful, thank you so much.
>
> Please keep them coming! I am learning a lot.
>
> I will probably play a bit with Tkinter and wxPython and see how
> each feels, just as Peter Hansen suggested). PyQt also looks

It couldn't have been said better than Peter has.

I might add this: Try both *and learn both*. Despite the fact, that I do
most GUI stuff with wxPython, I sometimes face situations, where I need to
be able to do some Tkinter stuff (mostly by use of PMW). This could happen
to you too, more likely than you might think now.

As for the wxPython path: I recently prototyped a GUI-app for Windows with
wxPython and then (alas) had to port it to C++. I simply could download the
wxWidgets (which wxPython is built upon) and kind of simply translate the
Python stuff into C++! It really helped me *a lot* having a working
wx/Python app, and saved me a lot of time, of course (but no as much as I
had saved, if I hadn't to port it to C++).

And while I am at it: It was a big benefit for me to *not* use a GUI builder
(which could be the next thing you might ask for), when I started Python
programming. When I started Python programming with 1.5.2 there wasn't a
descent GUI builder for wx (or at least I couldn't find one). And today,
where there are a few options (wxDesigner, Boa, to be concrete), I'm really
glad never having used one: Everything I do is under *my* full control, and
I guess this is the only way to get the most out of wx/Python. And for sure,
it's the only way knowing what you do.

As Peter said, the wxPython demo is a bonanza - use it.

Tkinter, to learn wxPython and to not use a GUI builder (which could be not
what a newbie likes to hear).

HTH
Franz GEIGER

P.S.:
Concerning PyQt: Yes, so far I only can speak for Tkinter and wxPython. But
as soon as I will be on Linux (hopefully next year), I'll try PyQt. So if
you would have asked me next year, I had said (phew, is that correct
English?): Learn Tkinter and wxPython and/or PyQt and no GUI builder :-)